Monday, July 24, 2006

A Nicer, Less Melancholy Essay

Everyone seemed to like the last essay from Composition class that I posted, so here's another one. I got an A on this one, too, and it's a little happier. Also, it's set in Bayfield, WI, so if you like it, you'll want to be sure to come to that Moot. Whenever it ends up being. 2010? 2011? We'll see. (Just doing a little advanced publicity. :-) )

Waking was leisurely this morning, a rare treat. Up, dressed, ready to face the day, I open the blinds. The sun shines into the room, steadily, strongly, with determination. "It may be nearly winter," it seems to say, "but these are daylight hours, and daylight you shall have!" The light streams in, brightening the whole room and rendering lamps redundant. Today there is no danger that the sun will desert me to play hide and seek with the clouds.

I open the door and step onto the balcony, and a gentle wind wafts the brisk air towards me, fresh and clean, blown right off the lake. There is no fresher, better air than this, on the edge of a lake, surrounded by forests. I could stand here forever and revel in the scent, like a connoisseur who has finally found the perfect wine, but there is work to be done, and the wind is chill. I return to my room, but leave the screen door open in rebellion.

Pulling a table and chair to the window, I begin to sew. Beaded cross-stitch should be relaxing, but I have started late and am concerned that the project won't be done in time for Christmas. As I work, the sun shines in, cheerily encouraging. The wind puffs by to check on my progress. A glance out the window reveals two islands floating contentedly on the lake. The have been there for centuries and have no plans to move. Peace returns to my soul. I pause for a moment to glory in my solitude, rejoicing in the lack of family chaos, or even plans with friends. My worries flee as the waves and cormorants call in the distance, reminding me that this, this is paradise found.

After several hours of communing and conversing with nature, diligently sewing all the while, I take a break. I fix brunch, or lunch, or afternoon tea -- some sort of meal; the title matters little. I turn on the TV for a bit and find a channel running a marathon of a favorite show. This quiet familiarity nurtures the peace and calm that nature planted earlier.

The light begins to fade. Betrayed, I look up to find the sun, but quickly realize that it is setting. A magnificent array of colors on the horizon apologizes for the sun's unwelcome departure. To compensate, the wind picks up, but the temperature has dropped with the sun. Regretfully, I begin to close up for the night. The marathon ends. Clearly the world thinks I should go to bed, and I do so. But I lie awake for a long time, savoring the dregs of my best Thanksgiving ever.

(moved from old blog)

Comments:

Wiz: Oh Beccaie!!! I love it!!!!
Hugs to ya!
Wiz

Bonnie: Wow Beccaie. That is awesome. Great job!

Frink: What a delightful way to spend a holiday. I'd be thankful, that's for sure!!

Aibrean: I feel like I was right there with you! Looking forward to that future-moot! :-)

No comments: