Sunday, January 31, 2010

Breaking News



THE NEVER-ENDING SCARF IS DONE!!!!!!!!!

I would show you a picture, but I don't have one. My sister came over today and I made her try on the scarf. The Incredibly Shrinking Scarf. The one that, last time I knit 6 inches onto it, became 2 inches shorter than its previous measurement. The scarf that I've been working on (off and on, obviously -- only when it hadn't completely sapped my will to live) since December, 2008. Yes, 2008. Not a typo. It's double knitting in acrylic, with a lattice pattern that required reordering the stitches on the needles in every single row.

This is one of those projects that, if I'd had a little more experience when she asked for it, I'd have refused to make. Yes, I can do double knitting. Yes, I can do lattice stitch. Yes, I can even work with that horrible acrylic microspun yarn that splits like crazy and my sister loves so much. (It's fine to crochet with, and I don't want to rag on the manufacturer, because it's a perfectly good microspun product. I just don't like to knit with acrylic or microspun, particularly this stuff.) Yes, I can knit a scarf that's 6 feet long. The problem came when I tried to combine those four things.

Also, in case you don't know enough about knitting to realize this, knitting a 6-foot scarf in double knitting means that you've really knit a 12-foot scarf, because double knitting is two layers of knitted fabric that are attached to each other, like layers on a quilt or something.

Anyway, my sister tried the scarf on and said that it was long enough. This despite the fact that a measurement taken just hours before her arrival showed that it was still nearly 2 feet short. I snatched it off her neck and had finished casting off before she finished laughing at me. A speed record may have been set, if only someone had been timing me. She's now gone back home, and she was wearing the scarf when she left, so I must fall back on my original photos for this post. Someday, when the scarf is around and my mom isn't (digital camera issues are complicated in this house), I shall take a picture of the completed scarf. And then make you read another post about it. >_>

Side 1

Side 2

4 comments:

KD Sarge said...

ooh, it looks purty!

Peach said...

Yay! It's cute.

Barb_in_GA said...

Huzzah!!!

That'll teach ya! LOL!

Pansy Makehay said...

OMG! It's amazing...but wow, I would have run the other way than tackled that! You're a BRAVE BRAVE woman, BEccaie! :-0
Well done! :D
Pansy