Saturday, June 20, 2009

All Right, What's Next?

This is not my weekend.

Erin, the other part-time cashier/receptionist at my dealership is in a wedding today, so I was planning to work both shifts. I got up at 4 a.m., dragged through my morning routine with lots of sore muscles and aching joints because of the fall yesterday, and headed off into (okay, technically away from) the sunrise. When I was about 5 minutes from the building, my cell phone rang -- unusual in and of itself, but particularly so early. It was Erin, and she was calling to tell me that the service manager had just called her and said that the service advisor who opened today called him (Is anyone else reminded of junior high here?) to say that all of the managers from the other store were there, and they were taking all of the new and used cars, and apparently they're closing our dealership. Oh. This should be interesting.

I continued to work, figured I'd at least find out the official version. Cursed a lot in my head about that 4 a.m. wake-up call for nothing. When I got there, I found out that they wanted me to work until 11, basically answering the phone and telling people to go to the other store. After half an hour or so, they decided that I should call all of the customers who had left cars at our location for service and tell them that they'd have to pick up their vehicles at the other store. You know what? Absolutely none of those customers were happy to hear that. Most of them stopped yelling at me when I explained that I had arrived at work and been told that we were closing, and that I would have loved to have given them more notice, because that would have meant that I'd had, yunno, ANY. One didn't, but I think I'd woken him up. Maybe he's always grumpy in the mornings.

So this weekend officially sucks. And now I get to launch a job hunt. J.O.Y.

7 comments:

Barb_in_GA said...

Crap. And sorry to hear about the fall -- I lost all my RSS feeds about two weeks ago, and am just getting them all back on track. So I'm caught up again.

Again, crap.

Deenie Foo-Foo said...

Damn.

I mean, seriously.

Damn.

That just fuckin' sux.

If it hadn't taken me 6-8 months to get this job, I'd suggest you move here and we'd get a 3 bedroom somewhere.

'Course, you're welcome to use careerbuilder, apply around and we can see what happens!!

ArwensRose said...

So ... did they just decide to go bankrupt? Was this apart of the closing plants thing that they told no one about? Where did this come from?

Beccaie said...

Thanks for the sympathy, all. And AR, I'm not ignoring your question. I'm still a bit (!) ticked at the moment, but I'll be writing up their ... plans tomorrow or the next day, when I've calmed down a little. I don't want to post anything that could tick them off enough to fight my unemployment claim.

ArwensRose said...

No worries. I am just flabbergasted. I am just shocked when companies do this. It is just wrong on so many different levels. Forget the horrendous Karma involved in it all.

I guess that the thing that stresses me out about this economy. While lots of people feel that there job is "secure" you just never know what will happen when you wake up tomorrow. And like what happened to you, you don't always have any kind of idea that something might happen, forget some sort of notice.

ArwensRose said...

I am so so so very sorry.

Pansy Makehay said...

My God, maybe there's something in the way they are handling all this that speaks to why they are closing. Grrr.r....

I'm so sorry, Beccaie! What a revoltin' developement! :p
BB