Monday, September 1, 2008

"Nice" and "Ninety?"

No no no no no. "Nice" and "ninety" absolutely do not belong in the same sentence. Well, maybe if you're talking about a person who's ninety. Or a tree. Or ... well, I suppose there are a few possibilities. But I categorically refuse to concede that they ever belong in the same sentence that is describing the weather.

The weather guy on the radio this morning had the audacity to tell me, "It's going to be nice today, in the low nineties." On my way home from work, the weather chick was burbling on about the "beautiful" weather, and then read off a whole string of ninety-plus degree temperatures. I know that neither of them are meteorologists. (It's a dead giveaway when they can't pronounce things like "hurricane" or "cumulus" correctly.) However, I really expect more intelligence than that, no matter what their educational background.

You know, I'm as fond of alliteration as the next person, maybe more fond. But no one needs to natter on about nice nineties. Never.

Clearly I need to move farther north. That's not really an option at the moment, but it's definitely something I'm keeping in mind if the opportunity ever presents itself.

Ninety. Ugh.

4 comments:

Aibrean's Musings said...

Perhaps "nasty" and "ninety" would be a better alliteration? lol!

We've had that same nastiness down here too -- bleh. I sure HOPE the rain they keep promising shows up soon!

Mehl412 said...

I so agree Beccaie!!!!! Ninety = gross when referring to temperature.

ArwensRose said...

I don't believe nice should be with anything above 75, but then I like clouds!

Beccaie said...

Yes! Clouds are our friends. *sigh* I miss clouds. There hasn't been a really nice, cloudy day here for a while. Well, there was one with a lot of rain, but that made it difficult to enjoy the clouds without drowning.