Friday, December 18, 2009

Knitting

Not much to talk about this week. All of my finals were on Monday, with my final project for one class being due at midnight on the previous Sunday, so the week was spent in frantic cramming and then recovery. You'd think I'd have learned better study habits by now, but obviously I haven't.

I did finish 2 knitting projects, and I've started another one:

The last of the Potato Chip socks for the Warm Woolies 10 for 10 campaign, which ended on November 30. Yes, I missed the deadline with these, so no yarn prize for me, but at least they're done and sent, and some kid will have warm(er) feet.

My scarf for the OFA's Red Scarf Project. This is actually the second one that I've started this year, because the first one has some fairly intricate cabling, and I didn't think I'd be able to finish it before the deadline. I'll keep working on that one after Christmas, and it can be one of my scarves for 2010.

I'm pretty pleased with how this scarf turned out, although if I make another one I may go down a size or two on the needles, because the fabric is a little loose. Then again, it's also made of Cotton Ease (cotton and acrylic -- Yay for free yarn!), so I included a note suggesting that it be sent to someone who doesn't have terribly cold winters.


I knit this lengthwise, circularly...

...and then steeked it, unraveled the edges, and knotted the fringe. It sure seemed to go a lot faster than the more traditional method of knitting back-and-forth across the width of the scarf! The stitch pattern is diagonal rib, and I changed direction halfway through, to eliminate potential bias stretching.


And here's the project that I cast on yesterday. Can't tell what it is? Good! Then the recipient of this gift, if he or she reads this, won't be able to either. I'll post a picture of the final item once it's been delivered.


3 comments:

KD Sarge said...

you know, looking at your pics, I was thinking. I'm not like some writers, who don't like writing, but do like having written. But I'm like that about knitting--I have no desire to learn. But I'd like to have made pretty things. Your work is lovely!

Peach said...

Those look great! Are the socks actually pink, or is my screen deceiving me? Yay pink :D
But really, they all look great, and the mystery yarn at the bottom is gorgeous.

Beccaie said...

Yes Peach, the socks are 2 shades of pink. It's the remainder of the pink yarn from that striped sweater I made in November. I still have some of the blue and green left, but I think I may make housesocks for myself with that. (Socks! For myself! What is the world coming to???)