Sunday, April 27, 2014

Living Below The Line

I've done my shopping. Okay, actually my sister did my shopping. Between my new meds and my blood sugars fluctuating a ton (although on a consistently downward trend overall), my vision is shot. I can't see well enough to drive, or even well enough to reliably find food on grocery store shelves. But my glasses are OVERcorrecting my eyes enough to make things even worse. Supposedly this will settle down in a month or so.

It had better. I can't function like this. Let's ... well, I was going to say "let's not even talk about how close to the monitor I'm leaning to be able to proofread this," but then I got curious. And a ruler. It's tricky to measure the distance to something from your eyes, but it's about 8.25 to 8.5 inches.

ANYWAY, on to the point of this post.



This is all the food I can eat for the next 5 days, while I participate in the Live Below The Line challenge. I got very lucky because eggs and potatoes were on sale, and I still ran out of money before I could get a can of tomato paste.

In case you can't see clearly, this is what I got:
$1.29 - 8 lbs russet potatoes (yep, EIGHT pounds! Great sale!)
$1.19 - 16 oz (18 slices) whole wheat bread
$0.99 - 1 dozen large eggs (another sale)
$1.44 - 1 lb kidney beans
$1.16 - 1 lb pinto beans
$0.86 - 1 lb brown rice
$0.27 - 1 bulb garlic
$0.13 - tax *sigh*
$7.33 - total

So I have $0.17 cents leftover if I decide that I need to figure out the price per gram of salt or pepper (which, along with a few other spices, are the only exception to the Buy The Whole Container rule). There's actually $0.18 in the photo, but that's an oops. I did the original addition yesterday but didn't check the amount until after I'd taken the photo. Apparently my overnight memory isn't as good as I thought.

You can still sponsor me here if you're feeling generous. Deen is also doing the challenge (for her second year). Her page is here. We're both raising money for UNICEF.

I'll be posting photos of my meals on my Twitter, if you're interested in following me there.






2 comments:

Peach said...

I think you are amazing. Way to go.
Here's my PSA: It's not cheating if you need to have something extra to keep yourself healthy, what with all your new meds. Much love.

jenchristens said...

Your eggs were an AMAZING buy - best I could find was $1.74! Super excited that you're doing this, too. And I totally agree with Peach - keep yourself as healthy as possible during this!