Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Biology Class

Was biology class always this interesting? Most of what I remember from it in high school was not being able to see through the microscope, and the teacher, Mr. Young, who was anything but. He'd taught both of my parents biology when they were in high school. He stuck around long enough to teach my younger sister, and then retired. He was ... how to put this politely ... quite a character. He was fun, in some ways, and just out-and-out weird in others. I don't know if he'd ever had much enthusiasm for biology, or if he'd just learned that it was a waste of effort to be excited about science when teaching in a high school, but the classes don't stand out in my mind much at all.

My biology professor right now is quite different. She specializes in botany, but really brings a level of enthusiasm to the class that I have never connected with science. She teaches here part-time, and works part-time as a botonist at the Field Museum of Natural History, downtown. She found out yesterday that her grant, which she's "been working towards all [her] life," has been approved. She's funded for 3 years of botanical studies in the Himalayan Mountains, mostly in China. She's just about over the moon. It's really fun to watch. Today a couple of us brought "congratulations" cards for her, and she got positively giddy. "It's better than Christmas!" was one of her comments.

I can't imagine Mr. Young getting that excited about anything.

One downside, at least for future biology students, is that she'll no longer be teaching. This is the second really great professor I've had who will no longer be teaching after August. It's kind of sad, but as long as I can keep getting the good ones before they leave, I guess I'll be all right.

(moved from old blog)

Comments:

Aibrean: That's pretty exciting, Beccaie! I'm glad you got to have her as a prof before she left!!

Rayna: Becc...in case I have failed to let you know...I am so very proud of you for going back to school and working so hard. I just know that you are bound for bigger and better things!

Me: *blush* Thanks Rayna. It was really scary to go back, but now that I'm actually in classes, I'm pretty much loving it. And yep, it is pretty exciting, Lisa. I'll have to remember to Google her in a couple of years and see what's going on with it.

No comments: