Thursday, July 9, 2009

Question 5

5) From most to least, what are my favorite types/steps of knitting?
a) knit, purl, graft, cable, yarn over
b) knit, graft, cable, yarn over, purl
c) purl, cable, yarn over, graft, knit
d) knit, yarn over, purl, cable, graft
e) Are you kidding me? I'm supposed to rank them?

This week's filler is NOT the Rivendell socks, although they are finished. I've mailed them off to Pansy, and I don't want to post pictures of the finished objects until she can see them in person. I originally thought that I'd just post the picture and hope that the package got there before she checked my blog, but then I didn't get to the post office until this afternoon, so that seemed risky. However! I have another finished project to show you as well. I finished my 6 pairs of Potato Chip Socks for Warm Woolies' 6 for 6 campaign, and they were also mailed off this afternoon.



Having finished 2 sock projects (and 7 pairs!) in the past 2 weeks, I decided to cast on for a couple of things, namely the Warm Woolies' Mystery Sweater Knitalong 3



and the Montavilla Market Bag (from Knit Picks).



This one has been burning a hole in my stash for a while now, but I didn't think I should cast on for it before I finished some other stuff. That's probably still true, but after resisting for at least 6 weeks, I caved. Also, I realize that neither of these projects is very far along, but since I cast on for the sweater on Monday and the market bag just last night, I'm not terribly worried about that.

In other news, I finally renewed my library card (expired 11/08) and went to the new library building. I realize that the old building was, well, old. And small. However, I'm still not entirely sure I approve of the amount of money they spent on the new building and the ways that they spent it. Then again, since I don't get a refund for boycotting it, I may as well get something to read. Also, no news on the job front. I didn't really expect to find something this quickly, given my somewhat restrictive school schedule and all. Plus the fact that I have no professional wardrobe anymore, having worn uniforms for the past 3 years and rather extreme Business Casual for the two jobs before that. Still looking.

Answer to Question 5: D (knit, yarn over, purl, cable, graft)
This was just a silly question, and I didn't really expect anyone to know the answer. I'd decided that it would be nice to have a round 20 questions, and towards the end it was getting a little tricky to think of them. I enjoy just about everything in knitting (at least everything that I know how to do), but some of the techniques can get a little tedious if you have to do a lot of them. Knitting is easy, of course. Yarn overs are even easier, because it's basically half of a knit stitch. Purling doesn't bother me at all, probably because the first two times I tried to teach myself to knit I ended up knitting through the back loops (similar movement to purling, but behind the needle, so a little more awkward). This means that, back then, I actually preferred purling to knitting. Cabling is fun (especially since I learned to cable without a cable needle), so long as there's some give to the yarn. It can get a little old if there's too much of it though, or if you're doing twisted cables or something. Grafting is fun because of how invisible it is (assuming you do it well), but it's one of those things that gets tedious pretty quickly. But like I said, the question wasn't terribly serious in the first place.

(These questions are coming from my "How well do you know Beccaie Jamieson?" quiz on Facebook. Thus far, the high scores are 35% among my friends, with my sister scoring 74%. I'm bringing the questions to my blog in the hopes that some more people will get to know me better.)

1 comment:

Deenie Foo-Foo said...

That's quite the circle of socks!!LOL!

I think the sweater looks cool (warm, but cool!!) and I can't wait to see what the market bag looks like!!